HOW I GET RID OF & PREVENT COLD SORES
I wanted to write this post because I have suffered from cold sores my whole life, my Dad and I are the only ones who get these in my family :( and the only suggestion he would give me was to put Zovirax on it... sure it works and the cold sore goes away, but what about preventing them?
Before you ask, I was born with this simplex and NO I DO NOT HAVE HERPES. A lot of people believe these are an STI, however they are wrong. I have learnt that most people have this simplex in them and the only reason cold sores pop up is because something has triggered them. I get these from the sun, lip gloss/lipstick/anything that I put on my lips, when I stress, whenever I get a cold and whenever I am getting over a cold. So yes I get these a lot. I hate to say it but these actually affect me more emotionally than physically and there was a point when I was getting them continuously and on the verge of a mental breakdown.
It has taken me 23 years and countless cold sores to figure out how to get rid of them and how to prevent them from coming back. Below I have listed a bunch of tips and products I use which have helped me, for the unlucky ones who suffer from this I know googling this issue is frustrating but I've tried almost everything out there and what is in this post WILL HELP I promise. Let's start-
YOU FEEL A COLD SORE POPPING UP...
RUN and get 2 things, the first is Zovirax or Blistex (Both work great)! Wash your hands very well and then vigorously rub a small amount on the area where you can feel a tingle. The second are Lysine tablets, start popping as many as you can, just keep it within the daily dosage. Also try to drink a lot of water.
SO YOU WAKE UP AND THERE'S A COLD SORE ON YOUR LIP...
1. DO NOT PANIC, I realise now that stress is going to make this thing worse and when I say worse I mean once I was so stressed that I had one that ANOTHER one popped up :( trust me you cannot win, once its out its out. You have to live with this monster for a few days so deal with it.
2. Apply Zovirax ON the area as many times a day as possible. Once I applied the Zovirax a little to the left and another cold sore popped up so keep it exactly on it!!! I use cotton tips to apply and then throw away immediately, bacteria is the DEVIL!!!
3. Take those Lysine tablets, stick to the daily dose.
4. Repeat these until the cold sore becomes a scab then start applying paw paw with a cotton tip to the area, keep it moisturised during this time to prevent scarring.
5. Once the cold sore has really died down like no scab died down THROW AWAY EVERYTHING!!! Throw your toothbrush, lip glosses/lipsticks anything that has touched your mouth get rid of it! I can not stress this enough. This is the first major step to preventing these evil cold sores from coming back!
PREVENTING THEM FROM POPPING UP AGAIN
1. Do not sit in the sun for too long.
2. Use your own lipsticks/lip glosses and do not let anybody use yours. Bacteria causes cold sores!
3. If you are going to apply anything to your lips make sure your hands are CLEAN
4. If you get cold sores when you are sick it means that you have poor immunity. I get sick more than anyone I know, I will travel one state away and get sick. Recently I said to myself I am so tired of this so I did my research and this whole winter I have managed to completely dodge this bullet (for once in my life) simply by taking Vitamin C pills once every 2 days. I have also started drinking super elixir which is a super greens supplement. Super elixir is expensive and there are other brands out there which sell a similar product at a lower price. The way I see it is if I am about to spend my whole pay at Mecca to make my face more beautiful, why am I not spending the same amount to make my insides feel more beautiful! INVEST IN YOUR HEALTH, and I am not excluding fitness even just walking 30 mins outside for some fresh air can do a lot for your health and body.
TIP- If you are going to start taking vitamin C pills these might trigger a cold sore or two, DO NOT STOP using them. Push through this phase and I promise they will slowly go away and they will really prevent them.
I have been cold sore free for a few months now, simply by doing/using all the steps and products from above. Hopefully this can help you too!